Florida Personal Injury Attorney: Tips for Preventing a Carbon Monoxide Accident

by Carmen Dellutri on September 23, 2011

Fort Myers personal injury attorneyIn yesterday’s post, we recounted the fatal carbon monoxide poisoning of a young Florida woman. As Florida personal injury attorneys, the most tragic part of the accident is that it could have been prevented.

As we noted in the previous post, carbon monoxide (CO) detectors are an effective way to prevent a deadly carbon monoxide accident because they set off an alarm before potentially life-threatening levels of CO are reached.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends that one CO alarm be installed in the hallway outside the bedrooms in each separate sleeping area of the home. CO alarms may be installed into a plug-in receptacle or high on the wall. Hard-wired or plug-in CO alarms should have battery backup.

Since the alarms only detect CO after it reaches dangerous levels, here are a few additional safety tips:

  • Make sure appliances are installed and operated according to the manufacturer's instructions and local building codes. Most appliances should be installed by qualified professionals. Have the heating system professionally inspected and serviced annually to ensure proper operation. The inspector should also check chimneys and flues for blockages, corrosion, partial and complete disconnections, and loose connections.
  • Never service fuel-burning appliances without proper knowledge, skill and tools. Always refer to the owners manual when performing minor adjustments or servicing fuel-burning equipment.
  • Never operate a portable generator or any other gasoline engine-powered tool either in or near an enclosed space such as a garage, house, or other building. Even with open doors and windows, these spaces can trap CO and allow it to quickly build to lethal levels.
  • Never use portable fuel-burning camping equipment inside a home, garage, vehicle or tent unless it is specifically designed for use in an enclosed space and provides instructions for safe use in an enclosed area.
  • Never burn charcoal inside a home, garage, vehicle, or tent.
  • Never leave a car running in an attached garage, even with the garage door open.
  • Never use gas appliances such as ranges, ovens, or clothes dryers to heat your home.
  • Never operate unvented fuel-burning appliances in any room where people are sleeping.
  • Do not cover the bottom of natural gas or propane ovens with aluminum foil. Doing so blocks the combustion air flow through the appliance and can produce CO.
  • During home renovations, ensure that appliance vents and chimneys are not blocked by tarps or debris. Make sure appliances are in proper working order when renovations are complete.

The Dellutri Law Group is focused on making bad situations better and putting lives back together. If you or someone you love has been seriously injured in a Florida carbon monoxide accident, you may be entitled to compensation.

To learn more about your legal options, contact our experienced injury attorneys for a free consultation.

 

Previous post:

Next post: