Naples Personal Injury FAQ: What Is Comparative Negligence?

by Carmen Dellutri on March 21, 2012

Sarasota car accident attorneyAs Cape Coral injury attorneys, we know that most cases aren’t cut and dry. In fact, injuries can often be attributable to the actions of several different parties, more than one of which may have been negligent. That’s why the doctrine of comparative negligence is so important.

Since 1973, Florida has followed the doctrine of comparative negligence. This doctrine is based on the premise that one person is often not 100% to blame for an accident and allows juries to apportion or assign fault or negligence accordingly.

For example, one person may be found to be 80% at fault and the other only 20%. In this case, the injured person that was 20% at fault would have their monetary recovery reduced by that same percentage.

Comparative negligence stands in stark contrast to contributory negligence, which is used in other states. Under this much less forgiving standard, if the plaintiff is found to be at all responsible for the accident, even the slightest bit at fault, he or she cannot recover anything for their injuries or losses.

The Dellutri Law Group is focused on making bad situations better and putting lives back together. If you or someone you love has been seriously injured in a Naples accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation.

To learn more about your legal options, contact our experienced Naples injury attorneys for a free consultation. 

Previous post:

Next post: